Wednesday, September 16, 2009

mein zuhause

I drew the above sign my first night in Germany, when I was all alone in the apartment and couldn't sleep. After discovering some chalk hidden above the closet door, I decided to make a sign to greet Laura when she arrived the next day. It's the first thing you see when you come in the front door.

Another view from the front door (you can kinda see a bit of the chalkboard in the lower righthand corner). There used to be a massive painting of a woman's wide-eyed face, but Laura and I both agreed it was beyond creepy. So we promptly put it in a closet and hung this street scene in its place.

Continuing down the hall, you enter the living room on your right, via the doors in the photo above. It all feels very grand :)

But not quite as nice as having these French doors (in the living room - this is a corner) as the entrance to your bedroom. The gilded pair above opens into Laura's room. (Sorry, don't have any photos of it for you because, well, that'd be a bit weird. Also I don't think she particularly wants me randomly snapping pics of her room when she's not around.)

The living room (a bit dark, but here it is anyway. Audrey's on the wall, Buddha's in the corner, and my computer's on the ottoman.)

View from the right side living room window.

Our kitchen. Again, dark but there. It has both a washing machine AND a dishwasher. Let me just say, after a year in an apartment without a dishwasher (or washing machine, for that matter), this is HEAVEN. Modern appliances, my heart beats for you!

All the images of my bedroom were ridiculously dark, to the point where it was pretty much impossible to see anything. Plus, my bed wasn't made and had stuff piled on it. So all you get is the view from my bedroom window, of our courtyard below. Which isn't so bad, if I do say so myself :)

A biking/jogging/walking trail that goes through the gardens at Schloss Charlottenburg (Charlottenburg Palace), just one U-Bahn stop and a five minute walk from my apartment. I strolled there yesterday, this morning, AND tonight. More photos from those walks to come, along with a few from my trip to the zoo. But it's gute Nacht for now - I can hardly keep my eyes open!