Tuesday, May 11, 2010

back on course

This morning I wore these running for the first time in a looong while:


For months (years?) I've been hesitant to do anything besides walk in them. But lots of people at work have been participating in races all over Berlin, including a charity run this past Sunday (they raised over 1000 GBP for breast cancer research), and it's been so motivating and inspiring. After weeks of contemplating joining the bandwagon, today I finally had the guts to go out and run. 

At 5:30 am, I rolled out of bed and climbed sleepily into my workout clothes, then somehow got myself down the stairs, out the door, and onto the pavement. And I ran. I wasn't fast (at all - 2.5 miles in around 25 minutes), but who cares? I actually ran! For the first time in years!

So why today? Well, there's a 10k race on the 4th of July, and I've always wanted to do a race (just so I could say I had, pretty much). Last night I found an eight week 10k training plan online. After a little bit of figuring, I realized I'd have exactly eight weeks to train for the July race if I started right away. So I did.

I've also registered on a fun site that enables me to create different routes and track my progress. It feels good to have this outlet, a place to focus and direct some creative energy.

Tomorrow it'll be off to the pool for some cross-training (speaking of swimming, there's another fitness-and-well-being hurdle I've overcome these past few weeks, yay me).

I must say, the peanut butter-chocolate chip blondies I made this evening felt especially well-earned :)