Wednesday, November 30, 2011

if you give a girl a sick day...

...she may lounge around watching movies and drinking tea like a normal person.

Or she may create fake inspirational mock-ups for her favorite time of year.





The best word I have to describe this palette is barftastic. Not to be too rude or anything, but that background pink reminds me of Pepto Bismol, which in turn reminds me of an upset stomach (one full of maraschino cherries, if that red is anything to go by). That said, this retro-granny style is exactly the sort of thing I would've been drawn to as a teenager. And the photos I used (cylinder of shiny globes, cat eating tinsel tree) are pictures of actual decorations up in our place as we speak. (In person, they give off a more modern, alternative vibe. Or at least that's what I tell myself.)

It was fun playing around with the layout templates (once again, huge thanks owed to Pugly Pixel). I'm sure there's a way to use them that would come across as more quirky and cute, but I was aiming for a little garish.

As it happens, I do come up with a sort of mental theme every year, and I consciously choose colors and materials in line with that idea to decorate and wrap gifts. This year is no different, but what you see above has nothing to do with what I'm actually picturing. Maybe I'll play around "seriously" and show you what I really have in mind...

Or not. It's hitting me that this is on the verge of becoming a fear post , because I'm getting very embarrassed owning up to just how much of a Christmas nerd I am.

OK, time to make some tea and be sick like a normal person. Plus I'm pretty sure Miracle on 34th Street is available for streaming on Netflix.... ;)