Tuesday, August 28, 2012

more household updates

Yesterday I spent some time lining the drawers of our buffet cabinet.


This is exactly the sort of low effort/big impact project I love when I'm stressed (from, say, moving).


It's the sort of thing that might not matter to most people but feels very rewarding to me.


It keeps my hands moving, my head quiet, and brings a small sense of accomplishment.


Working with something as beautiful as this Orla Kiely paper is an added bonus. The paper was a bit of a splurge, but these drawers now bring a smile to my face every time I open them.


The buffet itself is a mid-century piece that belonged to my grandma. I love its lines, especially those round pulls and the sweet little legs. It seems only right to treat it with care and safe-keeping. (Meaning, next up: Organize that helter-skelter situation on top.)


I also bought a new calendar at the paper store yesterday. Simple and charming, with colors that match our kitchen. I'm telling you, these are the small joys that make me so happy. And I love filling in the date boxes with family events that I'm actually able to attend. Multiply that joy by a thousand.


This photo isn't really an update, just something else I love - our bathroom floor. I've always wanted a floor like this. Even as a kid I thought they were so cool! (Yep, I grew up weird. Andy sometimes teases me for being the perfect combination of an 80-year-old woman and a ten-year-old boy. Luckily he finds it endearing. Also? I've kind of always been that way.)