Monday, October 27, 2014

monday's cup: a collection of coffee & quotes



I am a coffee lover. It's my one vice, as close to a drug as I'm likely to get. Besides the drink itself (dark roast, black), what really draws me in is the ritual of it. It's such a huge part of the morning rhythm around here. Caleb wakes, and we head to the kitchen to heat his milk and begin boiling water for my coffee. A predictable, comforting dance to commence each day.

For the past few years, I've collected images of coffee on a Pinterest board. Many years before that, I started piling up quotes. Single lines, page-long passages, and anything in between. When I was younger I'd use a piece of paper as a bookmark as I read so I could write down what grabbed me, and once full I'd file the paper away. I still have a folder stuffed full of quotes somewhere. These days, though, I keep a "quotes" document on my computer and save the words that resonate there.

Now that I'm getting back to blogging regularly, I'd like to help myself keep it up. I thought one way to do that might be to have a simple Monday morning series, where I'd share a (virtual) cup of coffee and a quote to ease into the week. A way for me to stay in the habit of posting while also sharing a snippet of what I love. So, without additional explanation or fanfare, here it is: The first installment of Monday's Cup. Enjoy :)


. . .

Image here.

"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." 

Thomas Moore