Thursday, October 30, 2014

three things + an update

Three things I'm thankful for this Thursday (not including a dose of all-too-easy alliteration ;)).


1. Stripey pants and new shoes (presents from his grandparents) on the legs and feet of our almost-toddler. He's been cruising with a walker like it's his job (and even threw a very toddler-like fit when it was time to be "all done" with the walker at his friend's house). 


2. I found my favorite bracelet! It was missing for a month, lost in the couch cushions as it turns out. I'd blame this on the aforementioned almost-toddler, but it was definitely my fault. I often take my jewelry off to type/write, so that's probably how it ended up buried.  I wear this piece almost every day, and I'm so glad it was lost (and found!) in a safe place :)


3. At some point, I became a person for whom cooking is frequently a way to relax and unwind. Last night we needed something quick for dinner, since I worked late, and our simple meal included this roasted kale. As I was preparing it, I couldn't help navel-gaze just a little bit and wonder, Who IS this person??? But I have to say, I like her.

Here's how I made the kale (it really is incredibly easy, and it makes you look like you know what you're doing in the kitchen ;)):


Roasted Kale Sprouts
with Pine Nuts and Pomegranate Seeds

Ingredients

Kale sprouts (I used a pre-washed bag from Trader Joe's)
2 Tbsp EV olive oil 
1 Tbsp pine nuts
1 Tbsp pomegranate seeds (again, I used the ready-to-eat version from Trader Joe's)
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Method

Preheat oven to 375°. Spread kale sprouts in single layer on rimmed metal baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil; toss to coat. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. 

Place in heated oven for about 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. As the kale nears "doneness," the edges of the leaves will become crispy. Once they're slightly crisp, toss in the pine nuts and broil for 2 minutes or so to toast the nuts. Remove from oven.

Plate each portion (or place in a bowl) and sprinkle on pomegranate seeds. Add additional salt and pepper if desired. Done!

. . .

I will reiterate that I am no chef; I'm still learning and making it up as I go. But roasted veggies have become a staple around here, and this dish did not disappoint.

And now for a little update. I layered the quote and image from Monday's Cup and like the results enough that I'm planning to print this out and hang it by my desk, so I thought I'd share it. In keeping with the recent theme around here...it's very (very) simple. But that, I'm learning, is how I like things best. x