Sunday, November 8, 2009

oh, and another thing

Two Three things, really.

Besides updating my blog for the first time in weeks and going through piles of school stuff, I can't stop watching these videos. I feel like I should've known about this already. (It may or may not be a discovery I made on this blog after Googling "how to survive student teaching.")

This wise use of my time turned up a few more gems, namely:

I think I'm going to change "Leaving Brooklyn" to "Student Teaching:" and turn it into a giant, folding poster to put over my head whilst I slump exhaustedly at my desk and cry.


I also really want this clock I found at uncommongoods.com. It's particularly apt considering the week ahead: We're starting a unit on time in maths.

On the bright side, I'm easing into it by teaching the children some choice songs, such as the "Months of the Year 'Macarena'" and theme from Happy Days. Nothing like horrible earworms for the sake of education! Hmm, that gives me an idea: "Earworms for Ed," a website devoted to finding classroom-worthy songs on the internet...
Or not.

And now it's time for actual work. And yes, I do mean practicing the Macarena.

l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l  l

>>UPDATE<<
I did not actually practice the Macarena. (Seeing as I spent hours doing that when it first came out many moons ago and have been at countless weddings since, there's really no need). Instead I made this:

We've just started "Can Buildings Speak?" in Art, and this past week in Literacy the kids labeled pictures of famous buildings and created glossaries of building terms. I've taken those words, plus some of our other discussion vocabulary and created a Wordle. Highly recommend making your own. Very good stuff.