Sunday, November 22, 2009

polska

OK, I confess.

Yesterday I was a big ol', I-come-from-the-U-S-of-A-with-camera-and-wallet-in-hand tourist.

I know. I can't believe it, either.



I went to Poland, where I did nothing but buy pottery, photograph castles from the back of a minivan, and eat pierogies. I didn't meet lots of interesting locals, experience lesser-known parts of the land, or learn any of the language (although, c'mon, "Polska" is an easy one).


And you know what?


It was still fun. I had a great time. And I bought some very cool stuff you can't get anywhere else, from the people who actually make it.

Giving my Polish cheese lady and baking dish a bath.

Maybe sometimes the do-it-like-it's-Disney version of travel is all right? Maybe? It's definitely not my first choice, but so goes life. (Plus, I have the advantage of being able to disguise myself by speaking German. Then people usually think I'm from Holland or France because of my accent. Which, when the only other Americans that tend to travel to the town in Poland you are visiting happen to be loud, demanding military wives decked out in stars and stripes, is one BIG advantage. In my opinion, anyway.)


Nothing like a bowl of coffee in the morning! I filled this baby up twice today - glorious.

Here's to a successful (and restful) weekend. Cheers.