Sunday, February 21, 2010

song of myself

 

 



Note: The above images don't exactly have to do with what I've written today. I've included them because, for one thing, I'm finding that I generally prefer a post with pictures; but mostly because these images somehow imply a sense of playfulness, wonder, or joy. It's a mixture of these that I find most appealing, and also what I see a glimpse of in the post below.

Today I'm becoming increasingly obsessed with the idea of camping in a ball gown. Going out into the middle of nowhere, pitiching a tent, then relaxing on folding chairs and blankets around a big fire whilst wearing crinolines of ridiculous proportions and drinking champagne. And maybe also I'd be decked out in costume jewelry and a tiara.

I don't know where this stuff comes from, but it makes me happy. Actually, not just happy - satisfied. Like all is right with the world when you can do quirky, thrilling stuff like that.

Today I had a plan to buy tulips and toy dinosaurs (not at the same place - though wouldn't that be nice?), but I didn't have a car at my disposal. Which stopped me, unfortunately. But there's always tomorrow. (A reassuring thought, when it isn't being used as an excuse to avoid living.)

My favorite present this past Christmas was a small plaque I got from my aunt. On it, there's an illustration of a girl riding a bicyle, feet off the pedals and legs stretched out to either side; you can't see her head. I get the impression she's going really fast though, and smiling. The accompanying quote reads: "I am fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." It fits me so well, my heart hurts a little. I'm the type that wants to change the world with bubbles. Because I'm pretty sure that if you can find joy and something to love in the world, that alone is transformative.

I don't mean to sound lame or pretentious, so I hope this isn't coming across that way, especially because mostly I'm just being honest (and hopefully not in a Holly Golightly sort of way). However, I happen to really love the movies Away We Go and Juno, and it turns out lots of people find those more than a little pretentious. But I just connect with them. So there's that.

Lastly, I'd like to point out that yesterday's list was totally random. (And here I am referring to the order, or lack thereof, not simply the items listed. Because that part is likely obvious.) But even so, this goes out to "rando" number seven:


And this, too:


The end.

For now.

But I'll keep you posted. (har har har, I know. GOODBYE.)

[4/30 complete]