Sunday, January 22, 2012

breakfast of champions


For a while, my breakfast consisted of grabbing whatever was easiest as I flew out the door after hitting the snooze button 20 times. Usually that meant a prepackaged granola bar and a banana. Not terrible, but I would end up hungry again within a couple hours.

Enter the realm of the protein-packed smoothie. This keeps me full from 7:00 am all the way 'til lunchtime at 12:30 pm. Here's how I make it: Blend 1/4 c. chopped frozen mangos, a banana, and a bit of spinach (you can't taste it once it's in there) with 1/3 c. of water. Add about a 1/4 c. organic coconut yogurt, 1 T. almond powder, and 1/2 T. flax seeds and blend again. That's it, you're good to go!

I was out of mango the other day, so I used frozen berries instead (hence the color of the smoothie pictured). And honestly, I don't really measure, but the result always tastes good and hasn't once failed to tide me over. Makes getting up when my alarm actually goes off totally worth it :)

And of course, no breakfast in my universe would be complete without this:




Happy Monday, folks!