Saturday, December 31, 2011

happy happy (joy joy)

Two at the Fair by Kurt Hutton, 1938

I seem to have taken an inadvertent blogging break. Ah well, so it goes sometimes.

Today NPR was asking people to sum up their 2011 experience in a single word. It reminded me of the part in Eat, Pray, Love where Liz is trying to think of her word. What would 2011's word be? Tumultuous, maybe? My life has certainly been engulfed by a bit of chaos this year (getting married, moving to the Middle East). And yet . . .

It's also been so downright satisfying. The moments when I'm practically radiating with gratitude have been so plentiful, and the depth of my lowest low comes nowhere near matching the expansiveness of those feelings. I am relearning who I am, finding my place as an adult in this world. I have taken on new roles and abandoned others. And I am so looking forward to the next 52 week stretch. My immediate sense is that it's going to exceed even my unflinchingly high expectations. 

The word I keep coming back to for 2011, then, is transitional. It's been an adjustment period of sorts, a bridge year. I've fumbled to find my footing, but more and more, I'm ready to run. I guess it's a lot like the word Liz eventually settles on: Attraversiamo -- let's cross over.

Here goes . . . 

x