Friday, May 11, 2012

on somedays

It's no secret that I use and love Pinterest. However, I'm not unaware of the fact that all the time spent collecting various ideas and images makes it easy to lose yourself in a dream world, in the idea of a life instead of the life you are living. To get lost in "someday." 

Someday . . . I'll have a beautiful house with a perfect backyard.
Someday . . . I'll try out this incredible recipe and impress my friends and loved ones.
Someday . . . I'll lose the last ten pounds and wear these stylish clothes.
Someday . . . I'll be happy, wealthy, skinny, and perfect.

I'm not saying it's wrong to dream or even to dally in fantasy on occasion. The danger is in staying there.

In college I took a class called "The Native American Experience." We travelled up to an Ojibwe reservation in Northern Wisconsin, where we spent a weekend camping, attending a naming ceremony, and building a sweat lodge. It was an incredibly powerful experience (and not nearly as stereotypical as it sounds). One of the stories our leader, Nick, told us, was about "The Two Ghosts." In short, he said every person walks around with two ghosts, one in front called Future, and one in back called Past. Whenever we're too caught up in anything but the present, we're living as ghosts, and thus not really living at all.

So lately I've been asking myself: 


What about this day? 


How am I appreciating, enjoying, and staying rooted in the here and now? What is perfect about this moment?

And the answer is always: SO MUCH.

What a messy, complicated, thrilling life I am fortunate to live. To let live, through me.