Thursday, May 3, 2012

yo! it's the weekend, peeps!


Image via my Pinterest, found here

Any big plans for the end of the week? We're going to a margarita night with friends tomorrow to celebrate all manner of good life things (weddings, birthdays, summer on the way, etc.). Then on Saturday we're hoping to take a day trip to Al Ain for a mini-adventure. It's getting dang hot around these parts (108 F the other day!), so we want to get out and about as much as we can while it's still semi-bearable. 

In other news, I got a perfect score on my recent teacher observation! Meaning every teacher standard the admin was hoping to observe . . . they did! Also, that they like and respect me as a teacher. All I can say is, WHAT A MILESTONE! Recognition is almost NEVER given where I work -- in fact, I think the principal has said all of ten words to me this year, and they've been more along the lines of, "Where were you yesterday? Sick?" and "Yalla, bye." Awhile back, I decided that was actually a blessing, as it forced me to stop striving for the gold star and really truly let everything I do be about the children. (And oh, those children! I get separation anxiety and want to start bawling whenever I think about the end of the school year, just six weeks away.) Maybe that's what they saw in the lesson they observed? I'm not sure, but now they want to videotape me for professional development. To which I replied, I'll pass, thanks! Ack, I guess this goes back to the whole bragging vs. sharing thing, but it's been so long since I've felt competent at anything, and it's an incredible feeling to hit my stride doing something I'm so very passionate about. 

Speaking of passions . . . In case you didn't figure it out yesterday, I'll tell you now: I'm headed to Nepal in July (woo hoo!), where I'll be working at an orphanage for a week. It's been a long time since I got on a plane that wasn't taking me to a new life halfway around the world, and I'm looking forward to a more short-term international experience :)

And finally, I still can't get this song out of my head -- it's on repeat even as we speak.

Enjoy your weekend, folks. x


Image via