Sunday, May 13, 2012

things i know for sure: intro / no. 1

Back in January I was struggling more than usual with some big sorts of questions: Who am I? What do I want in this life? Does it matter?

That sort of dramatic crap.

There's a reason I often refer to my twenties the adult version of middle school. They feel utterly transitional, and much of the time I wander around like a confused baby panda, wobbly and tumbling and looking for its mother.

My yoga-loving, zen-philosophy-reading self has found it especially tough to wade through these identity questions. How do you find your truth if there is no such thing? How do you EVER figure out who you are in a way that society can understand? Is it necessary to choose between society and self? How willing am I to play the game, and how invested do I want to be while I'm in it? 

Like I said, big questions. Exhausting questions. 

I was in need of some sort of anchor, something I could hold on to and say, YES. Even if I know nothing else, THIS -- this I know for sure.

I started keeping a little list of my truths -- statements that resonated so strongly on a gut level that there was no denying them. Often my truths turned out to be simple. Many of them are probably transient but ring true right now, a snapshot of this person in a particular context at a given moment.

Over the next few weeks and months, I'm going to share my list in a little series of sorts. In part to sort of publicly claim my story (as ego-driven/Oprah-esque as that may sound), but also just because I think it'd be cool to have a record of who I am and where I'm at currently (and this blog happens to be where I record a lot of stuff). The aim is to share one item at the beginning of each week, starting . . . well, now, as it happens.



I prefer 8 a.m. coffee to 3 a.m. tequila shots.



(Image via, found here)